Clarification & Ordering Options

☆ May 15, 2012

Star Brand Beef

When I re-read my main post on Star Brand Beef a few hours after I published it, I worried that I may have not been clear enough regarding the cutting and packaging of the beef. All orders will be made into steaks, roasts, hamburger, etc and packaged into individual portions.

Customers ordering wholes and halves will be able to customize the specifics of these cuts as listed below. Quarters are split sides, which means everyone receives equal portions of all cuts (as opposed to forequarters and hindquarters). Since quarters must be packaged similarly, I will have them done to my specifications as listed below, which I think everyone will be happy with. As always, please feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks so much for your overwhelming support!
_____________

CUTTING AND PACKAGING OPTIONS FOR WHOLES & HALVES:
steaks: thickness (1.5 inch, 1 inch, .75 inch)
# of steaks per package (1 or 2)

rib steak: bone in or bone out (bone in recommended)

T-bone + porterhouse OR New York + tenderloin
If New York, bone in or bone out

flank steak (yes/no)
brisket (yes/no) (yes recommended, I have an excellent recipe)

sirloin tip steak OR sirloin tip roast (sirloin tip steak is great for stir fry)

top round steak OR top round roast
bottom round steak OR bottom round roast
eye of round steak OR eye of round roast

chuck roast, arm roast, rump roast, heel of round roast:
specify weight per roast OR family size (# of people)

ground beef (burger): specify weight per package (1 pound, 2 pounds, etc)

short ribs (yes/no, if no, it will go to burger)
stew meat (yes/no, if no, it will go to burger)

organ meat: heart, liver, tongue, kidneys
(choose any, all, or none of the above)

soup bones (yes/no)
shank bones (yes/no)

lower legs – below knee to hoof, for dogs (yes/no)
_____________

bottom round steak
eye of round steak
chuck roast, arm roast, rump roast, heel of round roast: 2 to 3 pound roasts
ground beef (burger): 1 pound packages
short ribs
stew meat

heart, liver, tongue, kidneys: included upon request as available
soup bones: included upon request
shank bones: included upon request
lower legs (below knee to hoof, for dogs): included upon request

Comments

18 Responses to “Clarification & Ordering Options”

1. Rogier Willems
    May 15th, 2012 @ 9:03 am

Aha I was already asking a local butcher to see if he could cut it for me!

2. Catherine
    May 15th, 2012 @ 9:13 am

CongratulationS Shreve, this is great, fabulous idea. Don’t forget to send some choice cuts to Svensto !

3. maureen
    May 15th, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Do you freeze orders?

4. Marlene in Cambria
    May 15th, 2012 @ 11:32 am

ok.. this is clearer, thank you.. I really want to go in on this… I have to start adding meat to my diet, due to low iron levels..I have not had meat for over 15yrs…on gluten free diet..Your meat I would trust..I was looking for something like this….I live in Cambria Central Coast, and the Hearst Ranch Beef is a big thing here, but I do not trust thier practices..I would not be able to order a large amount..Would someone in Central Coast be willing to order and sell a portion of thier order to me..I would pick it up there…sort of like a distributor here??? maybe something to think about??? Marlene from Cambria

5. mlaiuppa
    May 15th, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

Very clear and very helpful as I’m not sure I’d be able to make a decision like this on my own.

And I love the dog options as I’ve got mine and my parents have theirs.

I am so going to try to sell this to them. Looks like a wonderful option.

And I won’t have to grind my own hamburger anymore since I trust your butcher a lot more than the local grocery store.

Having the bones is fabulous. My Mom loves to cook with marrow bones.

We’ll see about the organ meats. My Mom also loves liver and onions so she might go for that option IF I can talk them into this.

Shreve, the one thing you didn’t answer is how often will you be doing this? Once a year? Twice a year? If it’s seasonal, do you know what months of the year it will be so we can plan in advance? If my parents don’t go for this, I want to save up to buy an entire quarter on my own.

6. eni
    May 15th, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I hope this is a HUGE success so you can afford to ship out East one day! Best of luck to you :)

7. pam
    May 15th, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

I’ve said it before but must say it once again,,,
    YOU ARE the most amazing person I have ever known in my life.

8. Katie
    May 15th, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Even though I live in cattle country (Texas) I’d love to do this once your distribution area expands!

9. Bec
    May 15th, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Shreve, I’m wondering if you have the time and energy to humour your many well-wishers by publishing some kind of a timeline or chart showing your sales, so we can see how you’re doing with this new venture?

I don’t think the fabulous Bethany will be delivering to Britain any time soon so I can’t make any cute promises about joining in just as soon as you go far enough East (well, maybe…) but I am fascinated and would love to see how this goes.

One quick question –
    How old are the calves when they leave their mothers, and how old are they at slaughter, please?

Cheers!

10. Colleen G
    May 15th, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

Sigh. I guess I will have to wait for an East Coast trip. Best of luck to you and I think you’re an amazing woman!

11. Suzanne
    May 15th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

This sounds great, but like Katie I am in Texas – the Austin area to be specific, and am hoping that your new venture is a huge success.

Katie – if you live in Central Texas maybe we can split an order.

Best wishes to you Shreve!

12. Karen
    May 17th, 2012 @ 11:44 am

Are the optional meats/bones (organs, soup and shank bones, lower legs) included in the $5.50/lb packaged weight price, or are they thrown in as a bonus?

I’m trying to get a group together in San Diego to go in on a whole, but I’m not sure whether those count towards the “meat” pound total…

13. shreve
    May 17th, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Maureen ~ Yes. The beef is frozen immediately after cutting and wrapping per USDA standards and will be kept frozen in Beth’s refer trailer during transit.

mlaiuppa ~ Once a year, same time of year.

Karen ~ Soup & shank bones, lower legs, & organ meats are essentially freebies, above and beyond the 700lbs at no extra cost. Which is awesome ~ organic goodies for the pups + your own soup stocks + QUALITY healthy organ meat! I want people to have and enjoy these parts of the beef, if they so choose, which is why they’re gratis.

14. sybil ann
    May 18th, 2012 @ 12:10 am

Email me as soon as you have an east coast/Florida run – I’m in for a quarter!

15. mlaiuppa
    May 19th, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Karen:

Contact me at mlaiuppa at mac dot com. I’m in San Diego and I’d like about an eighth of a cow because I can’t swing the whole quarter. I’m also interested in bones, organs and legs.

16. Gretchen
    May 24th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Anybody out there in the Reno, NV area? I would love to split; whole, half, quarter; depends on how many are interested.

17. Jackie
    June 23rd, 2012 @ 12:46 am

I’m in San Francisco and am very interested in finding locals to split a quarter or a half.

Thank you for making this beef available.

jackie

18. rockrat
    March 6th, 2013 @ 2:00 am

Can you set up an etsy page, like the Daily Coyote shop, for Star Brand Beef with this information?