Cooking With Fire

☆ June 1, 2012

First, a tangent: Daisy will be calving in mid-July which means I’ll be getting upwards of five gallons of milk a day. I’m ready for it this year! I’m finally ready to try my hand at aged cheeses. In my downtime, I’ve been watching tons of youtube videos of people making cheese (it’s so much easier to learn the tricky bits from videos than from books), which led me to this guy’s website.

One afternoon, after hitting cheese video overload, I clicked on the other tabs of his website which introduced me to the awesome world of cob ovens. I was like, “Mike, you will love this!” and showed him what I’d found. And Mike was like, “We gotta make one!” And so we are! I’ll document the process and share it here.
I am SO excited. This is going to be the summer of yum.

Comments

19 Responses to “Cooking With Fire”

1. Amy
    June 1st, 2012 @ 9:32 am

I marvel at your energy – do you sleep anymore?

Also, in the immortal words of Monty Jack, “CHEEHEEHEEEEEZZZZE…”

2. Pat D.
    June 1st, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Who’s Monty Jack?

Hey, Daisy and company have nothing on the “Contented California Cows” of the California Cheese ads awhile back! LOL…

3. hello haha narf
    June 1st, 2012 @ 10:04 am

i could have sworn that i saw one of those ovens here on hrd before. sheesh, i am getting my sites confused entirely too easily. regardless, i am extremely curious as to how yours turns out!

4. Scotty
    June 1st, 2012 @ 10:04 am

yayyyyyy that means we will need a cheese cave !

5. Pat D.
    June 1st, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I didn’t think I knew what a “cob oven” was until I looked at the pictures and said, “oh, an adobe oven!” They’re widely known in the Southwest, where Native Americans have baked flatbread in them for ages.

Amazing how the world turns, and everything old is new again, eventually… Will look forward to your future posts on the project.

6. LaurelAnn
    June 1st, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Hey Shreve. My cousin and his wife live pretty much off the grid in th CA mountains. They made their own cob house! (and an Oven the regularly use.) Here’s the website:

7. ann
    June 1st, 2012 @ 11:38 am

cheese making? you are my hero.

8. Kimberly
    June 1st, 2012 @ 12:00 pm

those ovens are awesome! my husband and i want to build one when we build a house to make pizza and breads in them. they cook wonderfully, and the food always tastes so good! there are a few restaurants here that have ovens like that, and every time we eat at one we’re super impressed

9. Amanda
    June 1st, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

“curd nerd”, I love it. I keep meaning to try some sink cheese of my own, but I no longer live near the lovely co-op with the perfect milk. I’ll have to make a special trip this weekend. :D

10. Suzy
    June 1st, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Shreve, you missed living in the 1960’s. THAT was your era. “Coming Around Again.” ~ Carly Simon

11. Gavin
    June 1st, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Hi Shreve, thanks for dropping by my blog, and posting the link on your latest post. It is greatly appreciated.

If your readers would like to learn more about home made cheese, I also have a dedicated cheese blog called Little Green Cheese. It is full of lots of useful advice and tips that I have learnt along the way.

Warm regards, Gavin

12. Jackie
    June 1st, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

I used to make mozzarella. Quit last year when I couldn’t get good milk. Got my supplies from here: http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Love the site you reference.

13. Noel
    June 1st, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

A friend of mine grew up in Macedonia and has often recalled bread from similar ovens – it was baked almost daily but was still an event when the door opened. I tried to get him interested in building one, but he just laughed – he associates it with being poor.

14. Brandi
    June 1st, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

Do you give some milk to your chickens? Ours *love* it. I have not yet graduated to making hard cheeses…someday.
    Have a great weekend!

15. Ticia
    June 2nd, 2012 @ 8:07 am

You probably already know about Kiko Denzer but he has written a how-to-build book on earth ovens. Building one is in my future plans. Have fun!

16. Blog Princess G
    June 3rd, 2012 @ 11:21 am

Oh, it’s like a hobbit oven!

17. Jessica
    June 4th, 2012 @ 7:42 am

Hooray for cob! We’ve built a cob bench (starting small and eventually working up to an oven and house) at the community garden. http://www.greatbasinpermaculture.org for pictures. Have fun !

18. mlaiuppa
    June 6th, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

I have a number of links to how to build a pizza oven. Not that I have the space in my backyard.

So who’s the Daddy? Did Sir Baby do the honors again, or did you go a different route?

And will Fiona eventually be adding to the milk supply.

I predict that Shreve may be thinking about artisan cheese to add to STAR beef someday in the future.

I’d be up for it.

19. shreve
    June 6th, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

M ~ Yes, Sir Baby did the deed. I’m so curious to meet this new baby. And the heifer bull has not left Fiona’s side for the past two days ~ I think she will be pregnant by the end of the week!!!