Plain Skies

☆ October 30, 2012

IMG_7150

There was a strangeness around here yesterday ~ no planes in the sky. I wasn’t outside every second of the day, but I saw no sign of flights, no jet trails, no engine sounds in the distance. Mike said he was on the mountain during 9/11, and knew something was wrong because there were no planes.

I was glued to Twitter last night (what better way to get real news?).
Those dealing with Sandy’s aftermath ~ I hope you stay strong.
Our thoughts are with you.

Comments

17 Responses to “Plain Skies”

1. Janet in Cambridge
    October 30th, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Here in Cambridge, we had some wind and rain, not much flooding, but nothing like what NYC and surrounding areas got. Now the sky is clearing and the sun is shining. There are some without electricity. We missed the worst, by far.

2. Beverly
    October 30th, 2012 @ 8:11 am

yes, thoughts and prayers to all affected by storm.

3. Lady Anne
    October 30th, 2012 @ 8:26 am

The Baltimore area also seems to have escaped the worst of the storm. Howling winds – it sounded like a blizzard – and spurts of heavy rain. The forecast is for scattered rain for the next few days. We never lost power, but the town on the other side of the highway is totally dark.

Prayers for all those in New York and New Jersey.

4. Jo Davis
    October 30th, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Here in New Hampshire, without power at home but we have a generator! Power is back on at our small engine repair shop and we are working on generators for our customers and chainsaws too because we have so many trees down all over and soooo many without power!!!!It’s still very windy here with tremendous gusts and heavy rains… I was wathcing the news at home this morning and have been praying for everyone in NYC and NJ and everywhere else that are far worse off than we are!!!! I have an Aunt in Astoria and we are trying to reach her…but haven’t been able to yet! My Mom and her husband are on the Emerald Princess cruise it has been rerouted to an alternate course around Nova Scotia heading south…we were supposed to go to Boston on Thurs. to see them but we won’t be able to now…haven’t seen my Mom in 2 yrs. and was sooo looking forward to it…but it is more important that they are safe!!! thanks for your thoughts and I hope all your friends and family in NYC are all ok too…

5. Karyn
    October 30th, 2012 @ 11:11 am

Sending good vibes to all on the East Coast. I remember on 9/11 how strange it was with no planes. We lived where all planes inbound to Burbank, CA from the north came over our city, and it was eerily quiet.

Feeling the sadness too about the Captain of HMS Bounty still not found, and Claudine, who perished at sea. Hugs to all my Tall Ship friends.

6. Diane Brown
    October 30th, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

It is amazing how comforting it is to read messages from across the country like this.
    Thank you from powerless northern NJ.
    Diane

7. Felyne
    October 30th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

When I was in the country, out watering some saplings, noticed there were no birds chirping, none flying, there was not a bird anywhere. There was a dead calm of nature. Looked up at the sky and saw a tremendous storm cloud overhead, which was just enough warning to secure a few things and head indoors. Your birds are jet planes at 30,000 ft. There is poetry there somewhere.

8. wright1
    October 30th, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

Big Sky indeed; thanks, Shreve.

My heart goes out to those in Sandy’s way; take care. I have relatives and a friend on the road under the storm too; hoping all are well.

9. nancy
    October 31st, 2012 @ 10:08 am

pa go hit but no where near what nj and ny got. my street was closed for a day with flooding at one end and downed trees at the other. since i drive an hour each way to work i was home for mon and tues but most roads are open and my area has very few houses with no power. happy to see sandy gone though

10. Sherri
    October 31st, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Take care East Coaster’s sending good thoughts your way.

I have a friend in CT that we’ve been worried about but heard today they’re fine.

11. eni
    November 1st, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Thank you from powerless southern NJ. I am in northern NJ at my mothers, now, because she has power, but I have to go back to work at *some* point and then it’s back to an ice cold apartment and awful food until they can get the power on. I’m grateful that I have shelter, though. My heart is broken for all those worse off than I am. And there are so many.

12. I Hermit
    November 1st, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

4 thunderstorms in 8 hrs, 2 downed tree’s across the access road,winds howling, rain, and 4 lightning storms in 8 hours. Power never went out, I did light a few kerosene lamps just in case. Flicker, Flicker. The ice storm was worse. Was without power for 7 seconds. Friend of mine in Readfield was without power and phone 7 weeks, and in winter. The worst for us was a yabo drunken hunter shot a power sub-station in Thomaston and it took 3 weeks to get a new one in place. That was my “Freezing year” for garden veggies. Alternate years are “canning years” If I ever find the guy…..

13. I Hermit
    November 1st, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Oh about no planes. My brother has a birthday on 9/11, the day of the attack his boss fired him for listening to news accounts on his radio! Me I was headed to a neighbors house to look after a neighbors dogs for 3 weeks as they were on a cruise Atlantic to Pacific through the canal zone. The first plane’s I saw after weeks of no fly US were a vintage B-17 and a P-51 coming in to Owls Head airport for a airshow at the Owls Head transportation Museum!. After clear blue skies for weeks the deep thrum and window rattle and thoughts came to my head, “Why the heck are they bombing Owls head or Rockland? Trying to cripple the lobster industry?” Hey my first weeks of blue sky since a kid in the early 60′s.

14. Taryn
    November 1st, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

I live under the flight pattern for Dulles Airport, (one of the main Washington, DC airports). It can be quite noisy at times. Our home deed even came with a disclaimer making us acknowledge our proximity to the airport noise…..So when the skies went empty after 9/11 it was indeed an eerie thing. Here in my area we got a good bit of rain, fallen trees, and scattered power outages….We were lucky.

I grew up in southern NJ, and had a grandmother who lived a few blocks from the beach in Ocean City, NJ. I’ve walked the Atlantic City boardwalk many times…..hard to imagine it’s been washed away!

15. Heatherface
    November 4th, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

I can’t imagine being somewhere with no planes, I live in Los Angeles and there are ALWAYS planes and helicopters in the sky. Especially helicopters because of police activity or traffic accidents the local news stations are checking up on.

16. Rhea
    November 4th, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

I have family in CT. They say it’s devastating. My SIL in Stratford, CT still has no power. The loss is staggering.

17. carmel
    November 10th, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

Prayers and thoughts go out to the East Coast..on 9/11 I heard a patient scream and ran into his room, only to discover him pointing and screaming at the TV…my husband later told me that he had trouble connecting with his customers that morning and that something was amiss at Ohare Airport Chicago..no plains were flying!