Leaving this here for whoever needs it…..

☆ June 9, 2020

Not all men are misogynists, but all men inherently benefit from our sexist societal structure.

I think all women understand this at the core of our being because we live with it every day.

It seems to be more difficult to acknowledge the existence of the systems we directly benefit from, even if we fundamentally disagree with them.

Not all white people are racist, but all white people benefit from white supremacy.

Now without the caveat: all white people benefit from white supremacy.

All white people benefit from white supremacy.

Actively working to dismantle entrenched, systemic white supremacy is the work we must do to be anti-racist.

I’m posting this list from @blackandembodied so that I may continue to refer to it. Maybe you’ll find it helpful, too.

Comments

7 Responses to “Leaving this here for whoever needs it…..”

1. Amy
    June 9th, 2020 @ 10:39 am

Thanks, that’s some powerful stuff.

2. Nova Lockhart
    June 9th, 2020 @ 12:24 pm

Thank you, Shreve. I stand with you in fighting racism.

3. Theresa Szpila
    June 9th, 2020 @ 1:45 pm

Thank you, Shreve. This will come as a surprise to many white people who think of themselves as non-racist. They/We have no clue how privileged we are, just by being white. Racism is so systemically and historically insidious that it goes unseen by those of us who unknowingly perpetuate it and benefit from it. The system has been rigged for over 400 years; it’s not going to un-rig itself. The road to “recovery” is long and hard; the first step is acknowledging there is something to “recover” from: in this case, it’s racism. Until we do the work, there will be no real peace for anyone.

4. Janet Howe
    June 9th, 2020 @ 5:26 pm

Thank you for sharing this. The example of women knowing that not all men are misogynists, but that all men benefit from a misogynist system is a useful one, I think.

5. Alyxx Berg
    June 10th, 2020 @ 4:36 pm

6. Susan Davy
    June 11th, 2020 @ 9:15 am

I just finished Malcom Gladwell’s book Talking to Strangers. In light of what is happening around us all right now, it is particularly relevant! Give it a read if you haven’t already. And so true what you wrote.

7. Rachel
    June 21st, 2020 @ 11:15 am

Thank you for sharing this. Having grown up in the south and now living in the very white PNW and working in the criminal justice system and seeing racism every day, it still amazes me how I much I still have to learn. Currently reading So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo.

I have a non-related question – I’ve been searching your site all morning for an old post that you did on a cleansing ceremony (I think it was Blue meditation?) I apologize if I am remembering it wrong – but I thought you shared it here and not on Daily Coyote. And that you had linked to it.
    At any rate, if you remember doing this at all, would you mind sharing it? I am looking for a good detox/cleansing/shutting a door with finality kind of meditation cleansing ceremony. (And if you didn’t but you have recommendations on where to look, I’d appreciate that too.)
    Thank you.