Leaving this here for whoever needs it…..

☆ June 9, 2020

Not all men are misogynists, but all men inherently benefit from our sexist societal structure.

I think all women understand this at the core of our being because we live with it every day.

It seems to be more difficult to acknowledge the existence of the systems we directly benefit from, even if we fundamentally disagree with them.

Not all white people are racist, but all white people benefit from white supremacy.

Now without the caveat: all white people benefit from white supremacy.

All white people benefit from white supremacy.

Actively working to dismantle entrenched, systemic white supremacy is the work we must do to be anti-racist.

I’m posting this list from @blackandembodied so that I may continue to refer to it. Maybe you’ll find it helpful, too.

Comments

13 Responses to “Leaving this here for whoever needs it…..”

1. Amy
    June 9th, 2020 @ 10:39 am

Thanks, that’s some powerful stuff.

2. Nova Lockhart
    June 9th, 2020 @ 12:24 pm

Thank you, Shreve. I stand with you in fighting racism.

3. Theresa Szpila
    June 9th, 2020 @ 1:45 pm

Thank you, Shreve. This will come as a surprise to many white people who think of themselves as non-racist. They/We have no clue how privileged we are, just by being white. Racism is so systemically and historically insidious that it goes unseen by those of us who unknowingly perpetuate it and benefit from it. The system has been rigged for over 400 years; it’s not going to un-rig itself. The road to “recovery” is long and hard; the first step is acknowledging there is something to “recover” from: in this case, it’s racism. Until we do the work, there will be no real peace for anyone.

4. Janet Howe
    June 9th, 2020 @ 5:26 pm

Thank you for sharing this. The example of women knowing that not all men are misogynists, but that all men benefit from a misogynist system is a useful one, I think.

5. Alyxx Berg
    June 10th, 2020 @ 4:36 pm

6. Susan Davy
    June 11th, 2020 @ 9:15 am

I just finished Malcom Gladwell’s book Talking to Strangers. In light of what is happening around us all right now, it is particularly relevant! Give it a read if you haven’t already. And so true what you wrote.

7. Rachel
    June 21st, 2020 @ 11:15 am

Thank you for sharing this. Having grown up in the south and now living in the very white PNW and working in the criminal justice system and seeing racism every day, it still amazes me how I much I still have to learn. Currently reading So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo.

I have a non-related question – I’ve been searching your site all morning for an old post that you did on a cleansing ceremony (I think it was Blue meditation?) I apologize if I am remembering it wrong – but I thought you shared it here and not on Daily Coyote. And that you had linked to it.
    At any rate, if you remember doing this at all, would you mind sharing it? I am looking for a good detox/cleansing/shutting a door with finality kind of meditation cleansing ceremony. (And if you didn’t but you have recommendations on where to look, I’d appreciate that too.)
    Thank you.

8. Mirjam
    July 24th, 2020 @ 3:27 am

Great share. thank you.

9. Michael
    August 11th, 2020 @ 8:22 am

I’m in complete agreement with your post and it reminds me of college days studying Chomsky. The meme you shared is interesting to me but concerns me if it belies a black nationalist agenda whereby it is held as a truism that racism is impossible to overcome, e.g., “black people need to be in spaces without white people as often as possible”. If we apply that to black people living in Maine (where I live) they would effectively be ghettoized as were my Jewish ancestors in Europe.

10. shreve
    August 12th, 2020 @ 11:26 am

M ~ I get what you’re saying, but I interpret it as respecting safe spaces. As a woman, I love and appreciate spaces that are free from men – women-only dance and yoga classes, having a woman doctor, etc – and this has nothing to do with segregation. I don’t think white men realize how taxing it can be to share space with y’all because you’ve never experienced life as a minority/someone with less ‘inherent power’. Until equality is realized and fulfilled in EVERY aspect of our society, the desire and need for safe spaces will simply be a truth.

11. mike curtiss
    September 1st, 2020 @ 4:34 pm

I am continually befuddled by the notion that, as white humans, we are inherently racist, which is unavoidably translated by basic logical deduction, into evil….and are therefore, being evil, reduced by the same logic, to the equivalent of slave owners, task masters, murderers, opportunists, abusers, etc., etc…. The prospect of perfecting humanity, in all of it’s abundance of imperfection, is an exercise in futility…..certain to produce chaos, in a world where, free thought is heralded, …or is it? Is it that free thought is only an illusion, if that free thought does not align with the political mantra of the day?
    Political correctness is an evil sickness, that invades a culture like a virus, and indeed there is not cure, alas, only sickness….

12. shreve
    September 6th, 2020 @ 8:32 am

M ~ It’s not that we are inherently racist, it’s that we inherently benefit from white supremacy. And systems of white supremacy built and uphold our society as a whole. It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with awareness.

13. mike curtiss
    September 9th, 2020 @ 9:28 pm

S~ In a nation that is majority white, how would any system be built, that could not later be interpreted as “racist”? While I understand the concept that systems in our nation appear to favor “white” people, the term “supremacy” invokes intent, and malice, neither of which were present, at the founding. In spite of the imperfection of our “systems”, there is no other nation, on this planet, that offers the opportunity that this nation offers, to those that seize it, regardless of “race”…..As a nation we have continued to modify and adapt to accommodate non-whites, and continue to show a willingness to pursue that social evolution and cultural diversity….Should further adaptations be necessary, they certainly should be applied to all races, no just african americans….When surveying the historical success of non whites in America, it is quite evident, that non whites have every opportunity to succeed and prosper, as have countless asians, indians, latinos, etc…..when the prospect of equality in America is reduced to toppling statues and rewriting history books, we have missed the entire point, and it is INDEED all about political correctness….thus the entire movement we are seeing now, is completely devoid of any real substance, and is instead driving a wedge between african americans and success, unfortunately.