Belonging To A Place

☆ January 12, 2022

Long, long ago, in early November, I thought I would use the time between Thanksgiving and New Years to begin writing again and posting on the blog again and, well, life took me in a different direction. Honestly, I feel like I’ve been in a year-long acid trip. I have completely surrendered to it. And I’ve been enjoying it… even the dances with my dragons. It’s been a very deep, profoundly revealing exploration of my psyche that began, I suppose, when I asked the question, ‘who am I without Charlie?’

I was also planning to spend the winter promoting Meditations with Cows, leading up to the paperback release in February. Self promotion is hard for me in the best of times. It’s even more challenging during a worldwide pandemic while in the midst of a pseudo-psychedelic expedition. But this book is incredibly important to me—more specifically, the words that fill this book matter to me, and I want to share those words. So I’m going to share an entire chapter on social media.

This chapter takes place during the summer I spent living off-grid on the mountain with the cows… which happens to be another time in my life when I felt unable to share the profundity of the moment in the moment, being too immersed in living it. Writing this chapter for Meditations with Cows was the first time I wrote about *why* that summer was so lifechanging for me.

I’m so excited to be able to share this chapter with you. I’ll be sharing it in serial form, a little every day. You can follow along @dailycoyote on twitter or instagram. {If you like what you read, I hope you’ll share or retweet some of my posts, tag me so I can see and smile!}

And yes, the paperback is finally almost here. I prefer paperbacks—they’re just so pleasant to hold while reading. I almost always wait for the paperback release to buy books for myself and others. If you feel similarly, the time has arrived!

This is also a great time to talk to your library to request they acquire a copy, since paperbacks are more budget-friendly than hardcovers. My publisher did not skimp on this paperback though—they’ve printed it IN FULL COLOR! I’m so thrilled, all the photographs and design elements are beautifully printed in color, just like the hardbound edition.

Storytime begins today! See you on twitter and instagram.

Comments

13 Responses to “Belonging To A Place”

1. ELAINE CHECKLEY
    January 12th, 2022 @ 9:27 am

Happy New Year to you and the farmily!!! How wonderful for you, a new adventure. Been missing you – lots of love, Elaine

2. Carolyne Z McCoy
    January 12th, 2022 @ 9:30 am

I find myself still looking at the Dec 2021 photo …not wanting to put it away. (Even though I have the new calendar) I feel a little lost knowning he’s no longer with us; sending you the biggest of coyote hugs! (Mag pies haunt me to this day)

3. Valerie Martin
    January 12th, 2022 @ 10:53 am

Shreve, So glad you are “back”! I LOVED “Meditations with Cows” and this is a great idea to share on social media, anything to get the word out!! Keep writing!
    Best wishes for the New Year! Stay healthy and safe.

4. Leanne
    January 12th, 2022 @ 11:58 am

It’s always nice to hear from you. I liken the last couple of years to emotional whiplash.

5. mlaiuppa
    January 12th, 2022 @ 11:59 am

Welcome back. Missed you.

I actually prefer hardcovers in certain books. Books that I want to last and reread I buy in hardback. Also, if they are autographed or I might someday be able to get them signed, I prefer hardback.

For some, paperbacks are preferable not just because they are more budget-friendly but also because they tend to be lighter, more portable and easier to pass on if they are not “keepers.”

I remember your meditations in the mountains. That is when you hand wrote some passages, then took photos of the page and posted it, rather than type it out. Hope you kept all of those hand written pages. (I’m sure you did.)

How is our girl Daisy? Miss her too.

6. Jill Trudeau
    January 12th, 2022 @ 1:51 pm

Hi Shreve-your note made me smile!!!! I too remember the time you were on the mountain with the cows. I read each of your hand written posts-was a special time for you, Charlie, and all the cows. I thank you always for sharing this journey with us! I purchased the hardcover “Meditations with Cows” as soon as it was available-I have read through three times-it is spectacular!! Loving the 2022 Charlie calendar. Sending hugs and love to you and all the farmily!

7. RaveAmok
    January 13th, 2022 @ 9:59 am

I cannot wait for your new book. I am about ten years younger than you, I believe, and I have been following your work for about ten years, too, ever since The Daily Coyote caught my eye in a bookstore in Victoria, British Columbia, where I lived at the time. Feeling very inspired by your writer’s perspective and voice, throughout the years I have often had the sense — even when not directly engaged with your written words — that your calm, wise, gentle, and assured consciousness would come into my own to guide me. Anyway, just wanted to add my feedback to your knowing that what you are doing has such wonderfully profound effects out there in the world. My deepest gratitude to you. May there be so many more years of you evolving with your creations.

8. Sandy A.
    January 13th, 2022 @ 2:53 pm

I fell in with your blog and your first book years and ago. I purchased Meditation With Cows and absolutely loved it. I found myself totally immersed in your words and felt so many emotions. You are truly a special person and thanks so much for sharing your life with all of us!

9. Suzette
    January 14th, 2022 @ 10:36 am

Happy New Year(ish)! Glad to see a couple of posts here. I was getting a bit worried about you after Charlie passed. You two seem to have been so bonded to each other. Looking forward to the paperback release of your book!

10. Chuck Torbyn
    January 14th, 2022 @ 4:25 pm

As an older person I don’t get into Twitter or Instagram. That’s the only way?

11. Chuck Torbyn
    January 14th, 2022 @ 4:44 pm

There’s two authors I‘ve read recently who are the most incredibly impressive people I’ve ever come across. You are one and Angela Rummans who wrote “Unbothered” is the other. Oddly, you both wrote cookbooks first. You were both born on islands. There are other coincidences best discovered on your own. In any case you are a miraculous person, able to be at one with nature and yourself so comfortably. It’s a shame so many can’t appreciate that. Even trying to be one with Charlie was an unexpected opportunity and an incredible story. You are the kind of spirit the world needs, not the majority we have.
    By the way, are you aware there are those who believe the footprint of humans is so massive, the earth can really only sustain less than a billion? If the world thought like you , I could see how that would be possible. What a peaceful, benign world it could be. I love the idea of such peace. It’s long overdue.

12. Elizabeth
    January 15th, 2022 @ 10:30 pm

Does this mean you will no longer be writing anything on HRD.. I miss your posts here.. they seem so real here..

13. Chuck Torbyn
    January 19th, 2022 @ 5:54 pm

It would seem you and Charlie were meant to be. What really blew my mind was your aunt’s belief that Charlie was part of the decision when he was a baby to figure out how to find the balance and live in between the worlds of wild and domestic. What’s wonderous is that apparently you both managed to pull it off! Absolutely unbelievable! Wonderous beyond all words! Incredible.